Sunday, September 8, 2013

My Faith and God's Revelation...One Stroke at A Time


By: Lito Santos 

Faith is for naught without labor. Many times in the past I have emphasized this phrase on myself, so much so that I lecture my kids on "believing that one can be an achiever" in order to keep them motivated.

As a personal adrenaline, I rely on Faith to push me during trying times, (like right now). I am aware that Faith can move mountains, for even at its very least amount (the size of a mustard seed), God will surely provide what we ask of Him. However, because we are equipped with the "free will", we tend to forget and set Him aside. I did, but am trying not to anymore.

Faith (the word) for me was introduced early on as I survived Catholic school, having spent kinder to high school with the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres. But when I felt that I've done everything I know and could muster yet nothing ever happens to my prayers and to my life, I began to question the word. I told myself several times, why do I have to believe that things will happen because I have Faith. I then told myself that things "will" happen because "I made it" happen.

Back in my old self, I had everything because "I did it My Way". Until God made His presence felt and revealed Himself to me in a manner that only He knows. I began to blame Him, why am I being made to experience such difficulties - even letting my wife and children share on it as a result. Then I recalled "Footprints in the Sand". As a recompense, I prayed, confessed and got myself renewed. I said from now on, I "will" strengthen my Faith. Or so that was what I thought I did. My difficulties worsened, despite of what I believed then that I am now being "Faithful". Still God makes things possible of what humans deem impossible. I thought "akala ko ba He will carry me through all of these". He actually did! Through my wife that actively became a Lector, it paved the way for me to understand Faith in a deeper meaning. He revealed Himself to me through His Church, brothers and sisters of the community. People that I used to just treat with indifference.  

Now, I see Faith no longer as just "a word" but an act.  No longer on a false pretense that Faith is just "I believe" and wait for things to happen, likewise it is also not on a foothold that "I Made It" happen. Now I live on my Faith - that God reveals Himself to me and that He makes things happen not just for myself but for others to see Him through me as well.  God now uses my Head, my Heart and my Hands for His Glory and AMEN to it - I do have FAITH!

No comments:

Post a Comment